Skip to main content

Advice on floor and roof truss tie downs for high wind?

I've got 20 mph sustained winds, and was going to use Simpson's hurricane tie to attach my 20' long floor joists to the sill plate. Then run 2x6 strongbacks on 8 foot centers perpendicular to that. Anything else I can do to over build this? I am using a ribbon board across the top of my trusses, and now I'm thinking I should have used a rim joist on the outside (but the floor truss is 14" so it was an odd size).

Secondly, I have room-in-attic trusses, with like a 6/12 roof, and gable dormers. The top of the roof will be exactly 30' high with roofing on it. I was going to use the Burmon roof truss ties, as they seem to be the strongest and lowest gauge metal. Imagine a constant 20 mph wind, and 80 mph gusts frequently. What would you use?

Thanks for any advice!

submitted by /u/humaniteer
[link] [comments]

from Construction http://bit.ly/2J6HMuM
via Handy Rep Ai

Comments