I have two questions pertaining to foundation construction in areas with highly expansive clay soil. We live in the Blackland Praries region of East TX. This area has some of the most fertile soil in the nation but it is also the worst to build on. I've seen some of the old brick buildings in the downtown area of our closest city and found myself wondering what the old techniques were for building the foundations to support these heavy structures. I have tried finding some resources in the internet but I'm having troubles locating anything valuable.
Also...
I've built a small, small guest home/cabin in rural East TX and I went with 6 piers, thinking now I should have gone with 10. But, it's a little late for that now given my capabilities and budget. I'm thinking of adding the intermediate supports at or slightly below grade in order to have something vs. nothing. To go into more detail, the floor frame rests upon two 24' triple 2x12 beams spaced 12' apart, each supported by three piers. I am thinking I can use a farm jack to raise the beam between each pier roughly 1/8" and construct a pylon of sorts from cement block on a small gravel bed. I know this likely isn't the greatest solution but I'm not supporting a large structure at all. In reality, you can buy sheds this size. Any one have any other ideas that doesn't involve pouring more concrete?
[link] [comments]
from Construction http://bit.ly/2LEK4kf
via Handy Rep Ai
Comments
Post a Comment